Friday, May 17, 2013

Midterm 1


Well, what can I say, times flies when you’re having FUN!! If I had to express to you everything I have learnt already this semester we would be here all day, so I am just going to stick to the learning outcomes and tell you how far I have come since I made my own personal learning outcomes at the start of the semester…

Know basic literacy terms and methods
Before every class I have been reading the terms list for the specific unit that we are focusing on to try and get a broader knowledge of terms that will be used in class, this has really helped me in class, on the midterm and just when it comes to analysing any kind of literature in general. I have also highlighted or bolded all the literacy terms that I have used in my blog posts. A lot of my blog posts are heavily based upon literacy terms, for example, my blog post ‘Vultures’ talks a lot about imagery, while ‘The Marriage of Two Minds’ concentrates on word choice and ’Gender, God and Glory’ has theme as its main focus. Literacy terms are scattered throughout all my posts.

Know basic literary genres and representative texts
Well I can safely say that I have never felt more ‘well read’ in my whole 21 years of life. Wow, we have read a lot of good stuff already this semester. It feels good to read from a variety of different genres that I would never usual pick up before taking this class. I have come to every class having read all the assigned readings and I have also been reading my own literature on the side, as you can see from my Goodreads. I also have a very clear knowledge of what the literary genres are as you can see from my ‘What I Want To Read This Semester’

Write Literary Arguments
I made some literary arguments about some of my own reading such Vultures and Judith and also on some of the common readings we did in class such as Beowulf.

Engage Literature Creatively and Socially
I have tried to engage literature creatively firstly by trying to make my posts as creative as possible, with catchy headlines and interesting content.  I have also put a picture or a video on every single one of my posts and I have also tried to make them look aesthetically pleasing with different font sizes and different colours. Socially I have tried to comment on my peer’s blog posts, I have shared the link to this blog on my goodreads and also onto my facebook page so my friends can have access to it.  I have got creative by sharing personal poems that my family members have written and also by sharing my personal literary narrative.

Using emerging communication tools and pedagogic methods
I have used various different communication tools in my blogging, I have given examples of poetry in Prezi (and I also created the Prezi for our group presentation) YouTube videos of spoken poetry and in my poetry adaptation analysis I showed examples of typography in poetry.  I have spent hours searching the web for examples of different types of poetry presented in a cool and quirky way also.

All in all I think I have met a lot of my learning outcomes but still have a very long way to go.  After writing this all out and taking a step back and actually analysing my progress I have made 3 new learning outcomes

1. Don’t procrastinate…it is of the devil
2. Make more in depth analysis on the common readings we are given
3. Try to engage in more conversation on other groups blogs as well as my own

No comments:

Post a Comment