Wednesday, May 1, 2013

And so it begins...

To analyze or not to analyze...that, in fact, was my question. I never have been especially talented at analyzing literature. I once believed, as Oscar Wilde stated, that "all art is useless," or in other words, art should only exist to entertain.

Now, this does not mean that art has no use. On the contrary, art serves a very important purpose in our lives. It inspires us. It uplifts us. It challenges us. I believe what Wilde was trying to say, and also what I believed, is that art should not be used as a tool to prove a point or argue an opinion. The mere act would diminish the beauty of the thing and turn it into some mundane, average political devise.

Now, I see things in a slightly different light thanks to authors and poets like Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Charles Dickens, authors who used their unique gifts to campaign for change and better the societies in which they lived. After a little analyzing, the beauty of their works popped out of the page, slapping me in the face until I came to realize that it was the purpose behind the work that made the thing so beautiful.

I do not claim to be an expert at anything, especially when it comes to analytical skills. However, I do believe that it is just that...a skill; a skill that can be developed and perfected. That is why i decided to take Eng 251. I feel that if I can work hard enough at analyzing literature so that I can better understand it, then my appreciation of it will grow.

I only hope to improve and be able to help others do the same. I have high hopes for this class and look forward to reading some of the greatest works that have ever been printed in our English language. I hope to understand them in a way that challenges my preconceptions and enables me to connect with the literature in a way that inspires and uplifts.

-Andrew

9 comments:

  1. I love that quote by Oscar Wilde! I think you described it perfectly. He perhaps saw art as a a pure form of entertainment but it is really so much more. And if that's truly what he believed then his writing just happened to speak greater volumes than he thought it could. One of my favorite books is The Picture of Dorian Gray, and if that isn't more than purely entertainment than I am one of the many who over analyze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought The Picture of Dorian Gray, I hope it is as awesome as everyone says. What makes it one of your favorite books?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. It is as awesome as everyone says!

      Delete
    4. The story is so clever and fantastic! It's an amazing parallel to the the world at any time in history. Plus the writing is great. I couldn't put it down when I read it!

      Delete
  2. Very well said, I agree! However, to me it sometimes ruins the beauty of a work to overly criticize it and try and find meaning where there isn't necessarily any meaning to be found. This message is found in the poem we read for tomorrow "The Learn'd Astronomer." I am not denying that literature can be a real political force, and is written for political and moral purposes sometimes, like "The Jungle" etc., but sometimes works are just meant to be read and enjoyed. As was mentioned last class, at times "we murder to dissect." Especially with poetry, I enjoy just reading it and listening to how it sounds and the emotions it makes me feel with out any other interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand completely what you are saying. I was once one who dismissed literature as being silly and contributing nothing valuable to society. I have, of course, come to abandon my ignorance in this, and I have discovered that literature offers so much. It is my favorite art form, because I believe it unlocks the perplexing character of human nature, and it tells us so much about ourselves and helps us understand each other better. And as you mentioned, literature can also be used to bring issues into light in a subtle way. I feel like this is important because I think that by presenting arguments in this way one can have more influence over an audience, as opposed to bluntly expressing a problem that you observe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your concluding paragraph. As long as we are all here to improve we are on the right track. The more I come the learn about the little literary nuances people like Dickens included in his novels, I stand in awe of his producing works hundreds upon hundreds of pages long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think that analyzing art detracted from its beauty as well, but the more I have been led to see the incredible "gems" hidden from my sight before, the more I realize how many treasures the creator laid in store that can easily be overlooked from just a mere glance.

    I have come to understand that almost everything in a great work of art or literature is done for a reason; the creator/author didn't spend so much time on their work just to throw something out there. Each carefully chosen detail has significance, and I do their work an injustice if I do not search those details out and give them credit.

    ReplyDelete