Thursday, May 16, 2013

What Is True Education?


Spoken word poetry easily falls into my top 3 favourite things of all time. I am affected and moved easier through the ear than I am any of my other sense’s, I actually tend to close my eyes while listening to poetry in the hope that my ears will be engaged more! However, I didn’t want to close my eyes during this piece of spoken poetry because it features some fantastic typography throughout and the individual reciting the poem has a presence so strong that you are completely captivated.  His pace and pronunciation are on point and it sounds like he is just casually speaking to the audience instead of stiffly reciting something, which works perfectly for this piece.

This video spread like wild fire in England getting approximately 2 million views within 24 hours of its release and was covering the walls of facebook and various other social media sites for weeks after. It ticks the boxes both socially and creatively, which is one of the main reasons it’s had such success.  I think that this is a great example of how poetry, when written for a modern audience, applied creatively to technology, released on social media, at the perfect time, on a subject relevant and thought provoking to all, can be one of the most powerful ways to evoke emotion and get a point across. 



WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

What is true education to you? 

1 comment:

  1. I find his ideas on education fascinating. I myself find going to college to be a person's best bet at a happy life. The truth is though, they are preparing to work for someone else, so if someone has a dream, they would have to work harder and differently.

    ReplyDelete