Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Wrong Dreams



Seconds make everything better.  I first read the Arthur Miller tragedy, Death of a Salesman, on a whim during my freshman year of college.  I sat in the top floor of the Harold B. Lee library and read from 8 pm to midnight.  Sometimes you do crazy things when you are not taking an English class.  I cannot say I got much out of my initial reading of Miller's masterpiece.  I just wanted to consume something beautiful.  I wanted a break from scientific monotony.  This time, like a supplementary trip to the buffett for another heaping portion of chow mein and general tso's, I intended take it a little slower and to savor my experience.

It took me a good 3 hours to get through Death of a Salesman and all my additional reading, but my real insights came in just the first few pages.  I noticed significance of the names of each character.  I first caught on with Biff's name.  When I think of a biff I think of one who has fallen or messed up in some way.  Then I noticed how ironic it was that his brother Happy is not really happy at all.  Even though he is living what people at that time considered the "American Dream" he is not content.  Will, their father, is willful and stubborn, but his last name (Loman) indicates that he is unable to escape the lower-levels of society.  Understanding the symbolism of these names helped me identify the themes of the play more easily.  Miller wrote Salesman in the 1950's at a time when the American Dream was in full swing.  The Depression and World War II were over and people could devote themselves to their work.  What followed?  Yeah, the 60's.  The American Dream blew up in the face of the masses more powerfully than economic down turn or international conflict ever could.  Why?  Miller prophetically suggests American citizens are operating under two incorrect notions: the past was better than the present and material wealth is more important than true character.  These ideals are contradictory to the nature of the human spirit.  There are numerous points in the play that bring out these themes, but since I do not want to go on and on I will simply recommend reading it. Maybe later I will do a longer literary argument later.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great point about the characters' names. The dictionary defines biff as "a sharp blow with the fist" - Biff definitely takes a few of those metaphorically, both from himself and others. I also never noticed the contrast between his "sharp blow with the fist" name and that of his brother Happy, who seems to be shielded more from the problems and expectations of his family, and yet still endures unhappiness. There is definitely a lot of irony in their names. Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might have to go read this play this weekend, Briggs. Great analysis. Now I can go into it knowing what to expect and perhaps get more out of it. Hopefully you write that argument, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I responded to it here: http://coming2terms-drama.blogspot.com/2013/05/dreamless-response-to-wrong-dreams.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried to access Danielle's link but it did not work. Thanks for the dictionary definition for Biff Jennifer and thanks for the encouragement Andrew.

    ReplyDelete