Monday, May 20, 2013

Let's Go Drama Week!




I absolutely love drama and the magic element of performance that it brings to art. It is much more interactive than film and more subject to the whims of reality. I adore the example one of my english professors gave about the unique atmosphere of a live performance. While at a play, he let out a massive sneeze during a crucial (and quiet) part. The actor responded by briefly pausing in the middle of his monologue to say "bless you," and then continued on amidst the laughter of the audience. It's priceless moments like those that you don't get in film or anywhere else. I can't wait to study this delightful and powerful mode of art!
Some things I want to do during the drama unit include:

Read a Shakespeare play, I think I want to read Much Ado about Nothing.

See Urinetown tonight and enjoy a good chuckle.

Watch some plays or good adaptations of plays. Not sure which   ones to watch, but am taking suggestions!


6 comments:

  1. I saw Urinetown and I thought it was great! A friend of mine said they changed a lot of things about the performance (e.g. no swearing or gay jokes) but it was still hilarious. I have read a "Wrinkle in Time" so I think I will go to that sometime to see how it holds up against the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear! Yea I also read a "Wrinkle in Time" but can't remember what it's about so it would be cool to refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the one where there are 3 kids who meet some old women named Mrs Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which. They get teleported through different dimensions to various planets to try to find their father. Eventually they get to the planet where their father has been captured by a telepathic, disembodied brain that takes over the mind of the youngest of the children. His older sister is able to free him with love. Pretty brief synopsis, but that's the gist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see A Wrinkle In Time, too! I should probably reread the book, though. Mom read it to me when I was pretty young, and I remember it was so weird to me it didn't make any sense. I'd probably understand it better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom read it to me too! Then I reread the whole series when I was in seventh grade. It totally blew my mind when I was a little kid. I still do not understand the whole tesseract thing though. My biggest question is how will this translate to the stage? I cannot picture it doing the book justice, at least in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks Briggs! haha I had totally forgotten, but now I remember how much I loved the books and some of it is coming back. Can't believe they're going to try and take to the stage--it was already mind-boggling in my imagination! haha

    ReplyDelete