Monday, May 27, 2013

Nephi's Psalm


Huh, the Book of Mormon is historical non-fiction isn't it?  I never really thought about it that way before.  Maybe my mind places religious texts into their own sub-genre automatically.  When I read 2 Nephi 4:15-35 the profound sincerity of the passage enriches my spirit.  When I add to that the thought of Nephi: the son whose father just died, the brother of some real jerks, the man who has faithfully endured such extreme trials, his words are utterly, beyond description, amazing.  He wants to make sure his posterity has an accurate understanding of his character.  He is a perfectionist, but he admits he is not perfect.  He loves that which is pure, but confesses his impurities.  He loves his Savior and he trusts his Father in Heaven, but he wants to be transparent.  He balances his eloquence with relatable flaws.  I have noticed the precedent he set using this type of rhetoric reflected in the talks of modern-day prophets.  President Monson practices this technique with expert talent.  Reading this passage reminded me of a story told our current prophet’s recent talk in which he recanted a tale from his early boyhood in which he started a forest fire.  Prophets immediately deserve respect, but it is stories like this that gain the love of the people.
Nephi also uses powerful imagery to describe his struggles and redemption.  In verse 21 Nephi says “He has filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.”  He wants all the forthcoming generations to know that it is possible to overcome earthly short comings.  Nephi implements this classic Biblical metaphor in verse 35, “I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness.”  This can be traced back to Deuteronomy 32:4 among other references.

6 comments:

  1. I love the psalm of Nephi also. I love to read Nephi's accounts of his life and his faith. What is so wonderful about Nephi, is that he was always, always so good. As Sidney B. Sperry noted: "it not only praises God, but lays bare to us the very depths of Nephi's soul." It is beautiful enlightenment to read how Nephi actually felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought historical non-fiction was a great way to look at the scriptures. Something about viewing it as literature makes it easier to visualize

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I agree. Being someone who enjoys literature for aesthetic beauty, I really like seeing the scriptures as literary works of art. And why not? Are not the prophets some of the greatest poets that we have read? I think so. Their language transcends time and tongue...and isn't that the point?

      Delete
  3. Nephi's psalm may be my favorite passage in all of scripture. Reading it always inspires me and gives me hope. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe Nephi's psalm resonates so deeply within each of us. His words have strengthened me when I have expressed, "Oh wretched man that I am!" Nephi's example of turning to the Savior and praising His name empowers me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete