Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rubén Darío's "El Cisne"

So, my initial intention was to read a bunch of Modernist literature in preparation for this week's poetry section. I went to the library and checked-out collected poems from T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Ernest Hemingway and a few others. I read for three hours trying to find something that I could write about in a post but, needless to say, I could not find anything especially appealing. I pretty much gave up on it until I read Clarrisa's post on Rubén Darío; it hit me in the face like a Tyson right hook.
I was a missionary in Nicaragua for two years and here was a post about "my" country's national hero (a poet nonetheless) staring me in the face. It was destiny and from it has sprung the idea for this last-minute post.

While I was in Nicaragua, I didn't give Rubén Darío much thought. I had never heard of him and I knew everything so how important could he really be. (Disclaimer: note the sarcastic tone of the last sentence.) I had read his poems written on walls in downtown Managua and even visited his birthplace which has been appropriate named Ciudad Darío (Darío City). However, it wasn't until I took a Spanish Literature class that I realized the importance of Darío. I mean, he was the FATHER of the Modernismo movement. I was somewhat embarrassed that I let the opportunity to bond with some of my favorite people (the Nicas, as we affectionately call them) over literature. So, I have repented and aim to make things right.

The Modernism movement, as Clarrisa beautifully mentioned in her post, is a bit different than the Modernism that we understand. The "Modernismo" Movement in Spanish is more like the aesthetic movement that we associate with Oscar Wilde and his ideas of "art for art's sake." The Spanish Modernism movement is a blend of earlier Romantic and Surrealist poetry that focuses on symbolism. One of Darío's best known works is his poem "El cisne."


Fué en una hora divina para el género humano.
El Cisne antes cantaba sólo para morir.
Cuando se oyó el acento del Cisne wagneriano
Fué en medio de una aurora, fué para revivir.
.
. . . .Sobre las tempestades del humano oceano
Se oye el canto del Cisne; no se cesa de oir,
Dominando el martillo del viejo Thor germano
Ó las trompas que cantan la espada de Argantir.
.
. . . .¡Oh Cisne! ¡Oh sacro pájaro! Si antes la blanca Helena
Del huevo azul de Leda brotó de gracia llena,
Siendo de la Hermosura la princesa inmortal,
.
. . . .Bajo tus blancas alas la nueva Poesía
Concibe en una gloria de luz y de harmonía
La Helena eterna y pura que encarna el ideal.

The word "cisne" is swan in spanish. Darío alludes to composer Richard Wagner's opera "Lohengrin" in which appears the image of the swan. Often, we associate the swan with death. Darío has turned the tables on us and uses the image of the swan to represent rebirth and life. In Darío's mind, a new poetry was about to be born from the wings of the swan that would change and reshape the world. This simple poem is filled with metaphors and allusions that are both beautiful and thought provoking.

I love Darío's poetry and encourage everyone to branch out and study Spanish poetry. There is a distinct style and way that language is used and it is as meaningful as it is beautiful. Like the new poetry emerging from the wings of the "cisne," I hope a new appreciation for Spanish literature will be born from our study of poetry this week. 

A picture I took in Nicaragua near where Rubén Darío was born

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this poetry! I have never heard of this guy, but his stuff is really great! I enjoy spanish poetry too, esp. Neruda! Thanks for putting up the spanish version--spanish poetry is most beautiful in spanish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post Andrew! You and Clarissa have definitely convinced me to dig into my Latin American roots! What I noticed from this poem was how rich it was of allusions: from Thor to Helen to Argantir. I think that these allusions really serve to add appeal to the poem. It's funny because I think that some people who do not speak spanish can still recognize this and perhaps instantly become interested in the poem because the popular figures mentioned transcend into many cultures. I feel like perhaps this is one of the gems of allusions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Spanish literature is so rich in symbolism and meaning! I think you're right, too. Even those who do not speak spanish can still recognize the allusions and symbolism. Poetry is perfect for transcending cultures.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to have influenced your post! This is such a good poem and Sined already pointed out how the allusions help more people connect with it. I like that at the end the poetic voice seems to compare Helen and the swan (emphasis on the "seems to").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for posting about Darío. The guy doesn't get enough credit :)

      Delete
  4. Excellent comments. One point is Dario is a Latin American poet writing in Spanish. Spanish poets are also great! Also “swan” is “cisne” in Spanish. I guess the statement is backwards. Although understandable

    ReplyDelete