Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Importance of Reading "Ernest"

First things first. . . let us all just agree that Oscar Wilde was the first "hipster." He probably wore vintage fake spectacles and rode a bike to work, too.


As far as literature is concerned, "The Importance of Being Ernest" is one of the most delightful reads that I have come across in the last little while. I have been wanting to read an Oscar Wilde play for some time ever since I read the prologue to "Dorian Gray." Wilde's aesthetic view of literature, that is, art for art's sake, always intrigued me and I thought, "What better way to learn more of drama and the aesthetic movement than to read 'The Importance of Being Ernest.'" I dare say, I have not enjoyed so completely two and a half hours of reading so much until now. And then it hit me: that realization of why the aesthetic movement was so appealing. Did I learn anything especially critical, helpful or pertinent to my life? No. But I felt really good after I read, as if the art had somehow released me from stress or worry or frustration. In this regard, I understand intimately how art and literature make life so much better. If it were me, I would require all students of literature to review the play as I deem it a masterpiece of aesthetic beauty and comical brilliance.

After reading the first scene of the first act, I endeavored to read the play in its entirety. After a quick trip to the Provo library, I was able to embark on the 73 page journey just as Tuesday night turned into Wednesday morning. The play made such an impression that I called home to ask my mother if she had read it, as I hoped a good literary conversation would come of it. She said that she had not read it, however, she had thoroughly enjoyed the theatrical version with Rupert Everett and Colin Firth. Remembering our previous conversation of seeing and experiencing theatre, I determined that I ought to watch the film. . . and I was not at all disappointed with the interpretation of the play as the film had me laughing throughout.

I honestly believe that Oscar Wilde was inspired to pen such a genius comedy that transcends decades of societal changes and paradigm shifts. The basic themes of triviality, ethics, fraud, fate, irony and unrequited love still ring true to a modern audience 120 years later. The ever-brilliant Algernon and Jack continue to captivate audiences with their witty banter and controversial schemes at being "Ernest." I solemnly swear before all who read this post that I will sieze the first opportunity to see the play performed live. . . whenever that may be.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Wilde as the first hipster. Love it.

    A) it's crazy how something can enthrall one person, and completely bore another. (I'm not in the latter category, but I know some who are.)
    B) You believe Wilde was inspired? That's an interesting thought, and a totally valid point...I think?
    C) 3:18 AM. I hope you took a good nap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie too. I haven't laughed that hard watching a movie in a long time!

    ReplyDelete