Thursday, May 2, 2013

Does anyone feel like they're a robot?

Let me explain this sensation--I feel like a robot because I am surrounded so much by technology these days that I am becoming what surrounds me! I mean my phone is a permanent extension of my arm at this point!

This may be a bit overly-dramatic, but I have all your attention now so mission accomplished. Seriously though, technology is taking over my life, sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a not so good way. I.e. not being able to sit through a movie without referring to another form of entertainment on my phone--not a good way. Since when was one mode of entertainment at one time not good enough?

After reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, I saw many parallels between the synthetic future depicted in the book and present-day society--which was troubling. In Fahrenheit 451, this future society has banned books and burned them all. The people in the book are heavily dependent on medication and constantly watch pictures on the walls of their rooms (aka TV). They no longer think, they are not inquisitive, and they do not try to break out of their conformist society. To me this depiction is eerily similar to our technological society, where people don't have to think as much anymore because technology does it all for them, and where everyone is dependent on fake materials and medicines.

I liked the book so much because the protagonist breaks away from the mold and goes out into reality. I guess I am just a champion for reality and nature over what's fake and synthesized. I personally think society would benefit from following this character's example and taking it easier on the technology and getting more in touch with what's real.

4 comments:

  1. I can see your point. I am beginning to understand part of the reason why my parents didn't get me all the cool gadgets and toys that I wanted growing up. Probably the main reason was financial, but also I wonder how much I unknowingly benefited from learning to do without constant entertainment and convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this happens to me every time I watch Terminator, sorta. That sounds like a really interesting book though I'll have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all relative. It is one thing growing up with all the tech and feeling comfortable with it, but it is another thing to have to assimilate the tech into a "real" life. Can be intimidating and invasive. On the other hand, it can be actually seeing others "real" side, the side they may disguise in reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess whaaaaaat ... You are not a ro-ho-bot, a ro-ho-bot.

    http://youtu.be/S_oMD6-6q5Y (Marina and the Diamonds.)

    ReplyDelete