Monday, May 20, 2013

Gorgeous People in a Gorgeous Adaption

When I first saw Franco Zeffirelli's 1968's adaption of Romeo and Juliet, I was 15. It quickly became one of my favorite films not only because of the gorgeous actor who played Romeo, but because of the story itself. The tale of forbidden and tragic, young love could melt anyone's heart, as it did mine-- I shamelessly cried when the movie came to it's heart wrenching denoument. This was my first experience with a Shakespearean play and acted like a gateway drug, if you will, to my Shakespeare addiction . I thankfully have an uncle who shares my thespian interests and who works for the LA Met. He took me and our families down to the Shakespeare festival in Cedar City, Utah soon after I discovered Shakespeare. There I saw my first actual Shakespearean play in the city's version of the Globe Theatre, replete with renaissance garb and delightful tarts (which are, besides the plays, by far my favorite thing about the festival). My love of Shakespeare's plays has continued to this day, thanks to Zeffirelli's Romeo and  Juliet and my fellow Shakespeare-loving uncle.

3 comments:

  1. I memorized my favorite quote from that play: "These violent delights have violent ends, and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume."

    (Feel free to tell me if I got that wrong.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this with my 9th grade class. My friend and I were two of the servants at the beginning... "Do you bite your thumb at me, sir?" Or something like that. Its great when you actually get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I love acting--it's a good time. I was Tarzan in 5th grade and I got soo into it haha. Leah, that's impressive! I really want to memorize more of Shakespeare, it's so applicable to life and it's awesome when you have a perfect quote for a situation--you're like aww yea haha

    ReplyDelete