Friday, May 17, 2013

The Marriage of Two Minds


Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116 is by far my favorite Shakespeare sonnet, which is saying a lot coming from someone who is not a 'sappy' person in the slightest. This poem is all about nothing standing in the way of true love and that love should never change through trials. I love the idea of true love lasting forever...and ever...and ever, just you and your other half against everything. 

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! It is an ever-fixèd mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

When analyzing the poem I realized why I liked it so much, it is because of its simplicity. Approximately 75% of the words used are monosyllables and only 3 words throughout have more than 2 syllables. It consists of only 3 run on lines and has only one pair of double endings. Here Shakespeare has skillfully picked 110 of the simplest words in the English language and has created something simply beautiful. 

I found this Prezi/YouTube Video of the poem and think it is very tasteful and well done, you guys should check it out! 


2 comments:

  1. One of my absolute favorites too!I never thought about how most of the words in the poem are monosyllabic, but it accounts for the beautiful simplicity of the sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a favorite of mine too. I never realized that it was monosyllabic, but that only adds to the amazing nature of the poem.

      Delete