Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Silver Lining


So today marks my parents 25th silver wedding anniversary and I wanted to pay a little tribute to their special day by sharing a poem with you that my dad wrote for my mum while they were dating! My dad wasn’t a member of the Church at the time and my mum left the poor guy to go on a mission, he sent her this poem on valentines day and she later came home and married and converted him. The rest is history and they’re living happily ever after... 

And can you give - the policeman said - a description of her face?
I can - I said - for I have marked each feature and its place
What eyes has she?
What eyes indeed! To see them is to know
Of all that is in heaven found, as well as all below

The corners like an insects sting, the colour hazel brown
The gaze so penetrating, it could simply sink you down
The shape so fair and delicate, with russets lashes fringed
The windows of a beautiful mind that ne'er could be impinged

And then her mouth if please you'll note, no common maw was this
But the kind which any male would kill, to earn a single kiss
Her precious smile, a gaping slash across a lovers' heart
Whose perfect lips would heav'n reveal whenever they should part

And hair -asked the policeman - whats the colour and the cut?
The colour of the blondish husk around a hazel nut
The colour of an autumn day of leaf strewn woods in fall
Straight and swept like forests paths, the colour of these all

And what of her complexion? The policeman asked me then
Such skin, the like of which I know I'll never see again
Of ashen hue, like marbled ice, on mortal eyes is wasted
Her rounded cheeks the sweetest flesh that any male has tasted

And now - remarked the constable - remind me once again
What crime has this young lady committed causing thee such pain?
The oldest and the cruellest sir, that ever was in acted
She stole and ransomed my poor heart - my life the price exacted.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! He sounds like a pretty neat guy, to write something like that. Not only is it romantic, it's funny, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia! That was so cute! I only wish my husband wrote me poetry like. And your parents are cute, too. Thanks for sharing! That must be pretty special.

    ReplyDelete