Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Mid(Spring) Night's Dream

Drama is probably the one aspect of literature with which I am least familiar. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate drama so much, but I never really had the opportunity to relate. I always enjoyed acting and making movies, etc. but I never lived in a place that had a credible drama program, and I was always tied up in sports and music. Nevertheless, I remember the day when Shakespeare began to resonate with me and ceased being some sort of foreign jargon created solely to taunt my every attempt to comprehend it.

My grade twelve English class read "Macbeth" and, what I expect was an attempt to make the dialogue relatable to the class, my teacher, Bob Csongei, read out loud and performed the various voices of each character. Maybe it was just me paying more attention, but I had an epiphany of sorts and gained an appreciation for drama. I have attended a few plays and musicals since then and I even read Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing" just for fun.

Even with my amateur status with regards to drama, I had never experienced quite anything like Shakespeare in the Park. After walking right past it several times without realizing and meandering through several baseball diamonds, I finally spotted Richard and a few other classmates right as the show's prologue concluded. I had previously seen "A Midsummer Night's Dream" done by a High School drama club, but this experience was unique.
The quality of the acting and the interpretation of the play exceeded my expectations. The characters of Puck and Nick Bottom were hilariously performed and the 2-hours-long play seemed to go by quickly as the sun set and cool shadows stretched out over the park. Overall, I think the experience has inspired me to go see the other plays from the list (Urinetown seems to be a big hit with everybody) and I have more motivation to read plays outside of class. I think I will read one of Oscar Wilde's plays as I have always had the curiosity, but never the drive to crack open the cover.

I am excited to learn more about drama and explore its significance within the literary world. I have a good feeling about it and can't wait to get started.

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way as you in regards to familiarity with drama. I still get lost when I read Shakespeare, but there are other times when his words hit home strong like the quote about poets in Midsummer Night's Dream. "The poet's eye, in fine frenzy rolling,
    Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
    And as imagination bodies forth
    The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
    Turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing
    A local habitation and a name."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with Shakespeare, but I've realized for myself that when you hear it performed, it is easier to understand and even to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several of my teachers would assign "parts" as we read Shakespeare aloud. Unfortunately, the casting sometimes isn't the best, although I enjoyed playing the Prince in Romeo and Juliet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hearing so many great things about Shakespeare in the park that I feel like I need to see one of their performances. It sounds like the atmosphere is awesome! Plus outside in the summer is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shakespeare, along with most plays, are more understandeable when seen performed, which is why I want to go see this (for free) in the park! P.s. go see Urinetown--so funny

    ReplyDelete