Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A New Way of Seeing Things

Thinking of scripture as literature is a new concept to me. I first heard of the idea when I came to BYU and realized that there were classes like "The Bible as Literature." The idea sounded interesting to me, but I never really gave it much credit. So, to my surprise and delight, when I read the "Psalm of Nephi" and the subsequent posts regarding scripture as literature, something clicked. I now fully believe that scripture is valuable literature filled with plenty of literary merit. And why not? Does it not make sense that the creator of the universe and all language would want to eloquently communicate with his children on a spiritual level as well as in a perfect, beautifully constructed way?

In the Book of Mormon, Nephi says that his soul "delights in the scriptures." Do we not also delight in reading our favorite novels, short stories, poems, etc.? I think Nephi delighted in the scriptures because they were beautiful to read. I believe that when we read the scriptures not only should our souls delight because of the spiritual strengthening, but also because we are reading beautiful literature. The language used is so filled with wonderful allusions, metaphors and allegories. Scripture is poetry! This is so perfectly demonstrated by the fourth chapter of Nephi. The language is fluid, descriptive, symbolic and filled with images. Not only do we learn of Christ, but we also experience how the power of language can nourish. 

I admit, I was a skeptic. The whole idea seems a little far reaching. However, I thought about how God uses language to teach his children and how carefully worded the scriptures are. Like a poet sculpting his masterpiece, the Lord dictated His will through inspiration to the prophets, the greatest of poets, and used that language to teach us in such a beautifully meaningful and eloquent way. The master and creator of all language could just as easily teach us with a poem like the Psalm of Nephi. The Bible is filled with psalms and proverbs that wax poetic. The New Testament and Book of Mormon are filled with poetic teachings and allegories. Scripture is poetry.

I am so thankful for this new outlook on scripture. As a student of literature I can now make spiritual and literary connections to the words and teachings which strengthen my own spiritual connection with Heavenly Father. I am excited to read the scriptures in this new way where I can recognize both spiritual teaching and literary merit from the scriptures. 

6 comments:

  1. It's true. A lot of the messages are conveyed both through content and form. The aesthetic aspect we sometimes see can also be a form of worship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scriptures because of the expressive language. It is amazing how beautiful language can lift and inspire. It does teach, as you said, "in such a beautifully meaningful and eloquent way." Great post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm much like you in that I never EVER thought of scriptures as literature. But you're so right. Of course the creator of the world would want to make sure that the guidance He has given to His people is done in a beautiful manner. He does everything else beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also come to realize-- partly through reading Talmage's Jesus the Christ -- that not only is Christ the Master Teacher, but He is also the Master of language. The intelligence and eloquence of such a Man becomes apparent, and I am more in awe and appreciation of Him than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! That's my thesis for the big paper. Perhaps you can help me develop it. I think--because of its literary merit, not for any subjective religious reason--the Bible should be taught in public schools, just like "To Kill a Mockingbird" is taught, and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a paper I would like to read! There is also the possibility of including the Quran or other religious books because of their literary natures. It's a "provocative" question, but it would be really interesting to see it happen in the future.

      Delete