Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The "ever-fixed mark" of Sonnet 116


As I was trying to figure out where my love of poetry came from, suddenly the memory of my ninth-grade self sitting in English class expanded before me. My teacher was reciting Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 without the text. She had it memorized and recited it with such feeling, like she was savoring   every   word  . The only sound in the classroom was her voice. The lyrical sounds of the words rolled over me like a wave and the meaning of the words resonated with my heart on some higher plane. "Yes! That is exactly what love is!" I thought. It is "an ever-fixed mark"! Love is "the star to every wandering bark"! Love is not "Time's fool"! The poem expressed the nature of love perfectly in only 14 lines. How could the poem depict such a sprawling concept of love in such a short poem? I was enthralled by not only Sonnet 116 but by all poetry and its power to express what the heart felt in concrete words.
When my senior year English class rolled around and required us to memorize two poems, I knew immediately that sonnet 116 would be one of them. The other poem I have long since forgotten, but sonnet 116 bore it out “to the edge of doom” and stuck with me. Its impact has not diminished in the slightest since the first time I heard it. But what has changed is how much I appreciate the message as well as understand it better the more I experience love. It’s like the words become more true and poignant after every crush and every heart-break. What I mean is that I didn’t know completely what love was when I was 14, and I certainly don’t completely understand it now, but sonnet 116 continues to give me a vision of what it should be like. As I continue to go through this crash-course of life, sonnet 116 continues to contain some core truth about love that will never change. For me that is partially what is beautiful about poetry--it has the power to remind us of the immutable universal truths that remain under the world's tempermental exterior.


 

4 comments:

  1. This is also one of my favorite poems. I really love not just the subject, but his use of language: diction, word choice ("ever-fixèd mark" is fun to say), and even how some of the visual rhymes have changed (love/remove, come/doom). Sounds like you had an impressive ninth-grade teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said that Sonnet 116 contains core truth about love that will never change. That is what I love about this poem too. Love is not altered with every whim and does not bend from it's firm stand. It is a guiding star that a tempest cannot shake and "If this be error and upon me proved, I never writ, nor no man ever loved." There are countless examples of those who have "proven" what love really is. Keep your vision and you will be one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that love is a "fixed mark," but I also think it can mature and grow as well. You still love the same people, but as everyone changes, your love can change and deepen along with you, like a tree that never moves from the place of its birth, yet sends out branches to the sky and roots to hold it fast in the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love and conversion to the gospel are intricately connected. Testimony can be gained in an instant, but conversion takes time and work. Similarly, twitterpation is fleeting and love is a labor. When I was a child, I thought I loved my parents because they gave me things. Now I realize I love them because they sacrificed so much for me.

    ReplyDelete