Friday, June 21, 2013

Learning Outcomes


I think the real question of this post should be, where did this spring semester go? But you know what they say…time flies when you’re having FUN!

So first things first…literary terms…I have learnt so many of them this semester, especially with this being my first English class at BYU (apart from ENGL 150). I have spent numerous hours looking over the terms list provided by Dr. Burton and this has really helped me in class and also in the midterms and final. Also all literary terms I have bolded or highlighted them in a different colour throughout all my blog posts.

I know the difference between the literary genres of fiction, poetry, drama and creative non-fiction. You can see this through the research that I have conducted for my final paper. I have also done a lot of outside reading during the semester, reading pieces of drama like ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ and ‘Cat On A Hot Tin Roof’ and also I developed a new found love for non fiction, reading and analysing Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell for my final paper, also The Great Divorce by C.S Lewis and currently the Steve Jobs biography.

In terms of literary analysis, you can mainly find this in my final paper and also in my different thesis statement claims. I have also been analysing aspects of specific words using The Oxford English dictionary, analysing different peoples opinions on The Beatles such as Outliers and I have also analysed The Beatles lyrics from various perspectives put forward in the film Across The Universe.

I have engaged literature creatively and socially by getting my paper peer reviewed and posting it onto the blog and getting thesis feedback from my classmates. I have also spoken to family and friends about their opinions on certain aspects of literature I was thinking of using for my paper. I took my paper to the writing lab and also had all my room-mates peer review my paper. I have also creatively applied literature by picking apart the lyrics of The Beatles song ‘Let It Be’ and put it into a wordle. I have also creatively used social media to get feedback about my thesis.

Using emerging communications tools can mostly be found in my Instagram, Twitter and Facebook posts about my final paper feedback in which I got lots of useful feedback. I have also been keeping up and making new friends on my goodreads account and have continued to try and master the program Prezi after using it for our group presenation. I have also learnt how to blog, create a google doc and use google +. I have made all my posts look aesthetically pleasing using different fonts, colours and sizes and I have also always included either a picture or a YouTube video in all of my posts.

As for my personal learning outcomes, I have expanded my knowledge of literary terms, I have memorized a poem and read more pieces of my own literature outside of class than I ever thought I would have. I have come to class prepared having read the assigned readings and have loved participating with my group and inside of the class. This class has easily been one of the best classes I have taken at BYU with its combination of fun, hard work and a lot of newly learnt material that I will remember forever. It has reminded me of how much I LOVE literature and it might have even persuaded me enough to become an english major. Thanks for a great semester everyone...its been real, its been fun…its been real fun guys! Well what more can I say apart from over and out.

Till next time kids, stay in touch

Cheerio xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment