Sunday, June 2, 2013

Let's Rewind to My Love for Slam Poetry



I am currently in the process of revising and refining my thesis statement, but I definitely know my topic at least! After looking through all my old posts and seeing which ones revved up my interest the most, I found that I was most intrigued by the one I did about slam poetry. I started to think about the powerful and emotional effect slam poetry has over me and wondered if anyone else felt the same way. I also wondered if people prefered this medium of poetry over merely reading the poetical text. After some revision I posted this to my facebook page:
"Poetry was originally part of an oral tradition which put value and emphasis on the performance of the poem. In the slam poetry genre, the art of performance is once again united with the art of writing poetical text. Is this style of poetr...y more exciting/appealing than poetry that is merely read? Do you think poetry is supposed to be performed? What do you think about it!? (this is for a class J) Here is an example of slam poetry if you haven’t seen it before: Rives "Levitate". "
I feel kindof like a weakling at having to tell everyone that the post was for class, but I never post statuses on facebook, and those that follow me might've thought that it was weird (stupid I know), but I included a smiley face next to my admittance which made it all ok (?) haha. Anyway, after I posted that some people that I actually talk to commented and gave me some good ideas. Then later on, there was this random kid from my highschool that  commented who is studying performance poetry and acting at NYU and had some interesting insights and information. He told me to ask him any questions that I had! So cool! So I would say it was a very successful post and helped me develop my ideas.

If you guys feel so inclined, you can comment on what I posted on facebook too! What do you guys think about slam poetry? Do you like it more than just reading poetry? Do you agree or disagree that poetry is meant to be performed?



1 comment:

  1. That response from the person studying performance poetry at NYU is a perfect example of seeking social proof by sharing your evolving thesis or tweethis statement. Good job! I would like to see that comment thread. Can you take a screenshot?

    ReplyDelete