Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Magic of Performed Poetry



Above is one of my favorite slam poetry performances by Anis Mojgani called "Shake the Dust." I find this kind of poetry, especially this poem, very moving because it is so emotional. I find time and time again in my own experience that there are some emotions which are better communicated in person through body language and human presence.  It's a whole other world of communication when someone is actually speaking versus when you're just reading words on a page. It's weird, but when I watch slam poetry I feel like I am watching someone at the pulpit on fast sunday who is giving a really heart-felt and spiritual testimony. That comment isn't meant to be sacreligious! I just feel emotional I guess when I hear these poets because, like people on fast sunday, they are bearing their souls. What these poets say has been pre-formulated and practiced to perfection like an actor's part, which makes it a fine-tuned piece of art. Despite its pre-formulation, slam poetry still achieves an extremely personable feel when performed. All of that structure and practice and performance mixed with poetry is bound to be amazing! It's like all of my favorite art forms are mixed together. I am a definite fan of slam poetry!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like nothing I have ever seen before, its so amazing and relatable to everyone, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I was a little skeptical about this idea of slam poetry, but I have since repented of my incredulousness and I just have to say that I loved this. I want to see/hear/read more of this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched this for the first time last night and loved it! I definitely agree with you about the emotional response that this type of poetry can evoke. By the end of this poem I had goosebumps everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first experience with a slam poet and I've stood in awe of the art the art ever since. Harriet Poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you guys liked it! Danielle,the Harriet Poem is awesome!

    ReplyDelete