Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Drama With Sasquatch




This weekend I will be attending a music festival in George, Washington called Sasquatch.  Yes that's correct, George Washington.  Last week we discussed poetry and this week we are discussing drama so why not talk about a medium that combines the best elements of both?  Maybe reading Death of a Salesman has corrupted my mind with nostalgia, but I cannot help but recall how the Flaming Lips utilized both lyrical and theatrical talent to create the best concert experience I have ever had.  I should mention this was part of the UFO show tour so props played a big part in the theatrics.  There were Teletubbies, giant robots, dragons, confetti shooters, glitter, a man in a bubble walking on top of the crowd (interaction), an large screen behind the band projecting an art-housesque image compilation  and oh so much more.  The venue itself creates a sense of awe for life and the world.  Sasquatch takes place in a gorge overlooking a scenic mountain landscape.  The sunset just as the band began to play. The lyrics are weird, even juvenille, but if you can get over yourself, they become so relatable. They convey all the fallacies and insecurities of the human experience.  Life is fantastic and should be enjoyed.  When people shed their prejudices and self-consciousness life is just more fun.  Obviously, I do not subscribe to the entire Flaming Lips theology, but I can honestly say that every venue, every show, every band that has stirred some emotion in my unreasonably cynical twenty two year-old heart has caused me to say "this is good, but not as good as the Flaming Lips at Sasquatch".






2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Briggs. It definitely was not what I was expecting to read. Also, The Flaming Lips' song "Do You Realize??" will forever remain one of my favorite songs. Such a good band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude they are playing the twilight concert series in salt lake this summer! Definitely going.

    ReplyDelete