Monday, May 13, 2013

The Dismemberment Plan

 

So far I have spent a good 9 hours of my weekend reading poetry and Ulysses.  I also did literature stuff last Wednesday for about three hours.  I have been thinking about my personal learning plan and I feel like I should update it a little bit.  I think I am decently read in free verse poetry, but I would like to become more familiar with the various types of fixed forms of poetry.  In particular I would like to memorize two poems by the end of the term.  Specifically, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", a Villanelle by Dylan Thomas and "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways", a Petrarchan sonnet by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  Love and death seem to be the two most popular subjects for poets so I figure why not learn one of each?  I have also been pondering what to read in the genre of dramatic literature.  I remember beginning to read Death of a Salesman my freshman year just for fun so I think I will pick that up again.  Maybe my strides have been comparatively small, but I think I am getting the hang of blogging.  I never really thought of it as a legitimate artistic medium prior to this class.  Now I see how it can be a useful resource for people to publish their thoughts and receive feedback.

2 comments:

  1. I'm learning how blogging can be useful as well. You started me thinking about what poems I want to memorize. "Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night," is a good one. I especially enjoyed how it was used in the young adult book "Matched."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah what is the deal with all the love and death poetry?

    ReplyDelete