Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Social Media vs. Socializing or Why Does It Always Have to be a Competition?

Right now this is the thesis statement I feel is working best for my paper: Although James Joyce's Ulysses is generally regarded as a novel, it must be regarded as poetry in order to be fully appreciated because he implements such dense of imagery and ignores many grammatical rules; staples of free verse poems.

After posting a few potential thesis statements on Facebook I was surprised to see how many comments I received since I have not posted anything since before my mission.  I started out with some pretty basic statements/questions that I knew people would probably have opinions about.  The initial responses were pretty short and divisive, but when I tried to discuss things further people's interest seemed to fizzle out.    I know others had success with this particular social network, it just did not work for me.  So I just decided to talk directly with people I know have an interest in literature.  

My aunt teaches at English at UVU so I figured she would have something to say about how to categorize the style of writing in Ulysses.  I go over to my aunt and uncle's house every Sunday for dinner I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to have a discussion with her.  She liked the topic.  She talked about the difference between grammar used in novels as opposed to poetry and how Ulysses is kind of an anomally because it uses stream-of-consciousness so it fits somewhere in the middle.  I also talked with my roommates, my friend David, and my cousin.  They all are into literature and none of them are English majors.  Each of them thought it was a cool topic on which to write, but none said anything that made me tweek the thesis statement anymore than I had already.  In short, my weekend was pretty much taken over by English and being sick. I did not really keep track of how much time I spent talking, reading, and writing, but I am sure it was over 10 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I like your thesis statement, and I think you could find some great arguments within the text. Good luck - Joyce is tough!

    ReplyDelete