Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Here's Why I Care

I guess if I'm going to analyze an entire work of fiction I'd better be interested in my topic. When it comes to literature, I enjoy stories that force me to see things from a different perspective. I can experience through the eyes of the narrator and learn more about people and the world around me. That is, after all, the point of literature. So, when I first read "The Catcher in the Rye" in my 11th grade english class, I was caught off guard by Holder Caulfield's attitude. I, myself, was 17 years old at the time and had never experienced the heartache and let downs that so affected this young man. Nevertheless, I found that I connected with this protagonist's seemingly foreign character and after a while, his character didn't seem so foreign after all. I knew Holden because a part of him was also in me. 
After reading and rereading, I felt like I could relate more to Holden. With every experience I tried to learn more about him and understand things from his perspective. While I couldn't completely agree with some of his opinions, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I tried to see his redeeming qualities and ignore his juvenile missteps. Holden started to become somewhat of hero in my eyes. He was bold and daring and wise beyond his years. He was real.

That being said, most of my classmates who read the book hated Holden. They said he was stupid, shallow and immoral. I completely disagreed. When I read his story, I saw somebody who searched for meaning and substance in a world filled with "phonies" and superficiality. All he needed was a little guidance--a little help. I wanted to plead his case and help him out.

So, that is exactly what I aim to do in this paper. After analyzing the novel and seeing how different conversations and experiences affected Holden Caulfield, I can plainly see how this teenager represents all of those people who were searching for meaningful human connection and spirituality during a difficult time of world history marred by war and immorality. He gave a voice to a lost generation. Holden is an honest, intelligent and emotionally deep character who is just a little misunderstood. I still see Holden as a type of moral hero and I hope I will be able to adequately argue my opinion in my paper. So, that is why I care.  


1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this and thinking that Holden is so relatable in the worst way. Sometimes I feel cynical, but that does not mean I want to hear another cynical person complain. I found this novel to be significant because it confronts people with that side of them and compels them to decide to act and stop dreaming.

    ReplyDelete